Pages

Saturday 14 February 2015

A Confession...

I have a shameful secret. Okay, it's not so shameful that I need to go into hiding but it is a secret that I never thought would become a reality. I used to read books. You see how I have bolded and underlined the used to part. Yep, that is my secret. I, the former bookworm, have not finished more than 5 books in the last 2 years.

Now, for the majority of people this would not be an upsetting fact, but I spent my childhood lying around reading books. Not playing video games or playing sports, but reading books. My local librarians knew me by name and let me know when they were ordering in new books so that I could have first dibs. We were tight. I was a dork.

I loved to read. I loved books from across all genres - fantasy, historical, romance, comedies - loved immersing myself in another worlds, with new friends and stories that would captivate me and help me escape my boring life in a small country town.

My love for reading didn't even wain when I moved 6 hours away to attend University. Even with the burden of course work, holding down a job and making time to party with my friends, I still made time to read the occasional book for pleasure. It was not until I graduated and starting working full time that my reading habits fell to an all-time low. It wasn't that I didn't have the time. I worked 9-5, I watch more television now than I ever did and honestly have no social life to speak of.

I can't even pinpoint the last time I picked up a book. I am going to just say I have read 5 books in the last two years because that seems like an acceptable number. In all honesty it could be less. Sure I have attempted to read a few more books than this. I can never seem to get through them. I think I have another 10 books sitting in my book case that have been read 25-50%. I cannot seem to focus. I used to pick-up a book and read for hours. My mom used to yell at me all the time for staying up past my bedtime reading (like she should I have been happy I was a huge nerd). Now I am just constantly distracted. I will start reading, look at my phone, play Candy Crush, remember that I haven't watched this week’s episode of The Blacklist, which turns into Vampire Diaries and morphs into some show about redneck Gypsy's. Weeks later I will remember that I was trying to read a book and the cycle begins all over again.

So I have decided that I am going to change. I was going to revert back into my bookworm self (the 15 year old me is cringing - who knew reading would be cool?). This is where this little blog comes in. I want something (and maybe some someone’s) to keep me accountable. My goal is to write a book review after I finish a book. I am honest, sarcastic and bitchy. I don't sugar coat things so perhaps people will enjoy what I have to say (yes I am speaking to you future reader).

In all honesty, what I hope to get out of this little experiment is to just enjoy reading again.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment