Pages

Monday 16 February 2015

Quick Review: The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black



“There's a monster in our wood. She'll get you if you're not good. Drag you under leaves and sticks. Punish you for all your tricks. Anest of hair and gnawed bone. You are never, ever coming... home.”

About
Our main story revolves around Hazel and her brother Ben who live in a town where human and fae co-exist. The town is quite the hotspot tourists and the main attraction is the horned boy, who has been asleep in a glass coffin in the woods for generations. While the fae usually leave the townsfolk alone, choosing to prey on the tourists instead, something has changed. Now the townsfolk are fair game to the wicked games of the fae.

My Thoughts

I am a huge fan of Holly Black, ever since high school reading her Modern Faerie Tales series. While this story was dark and creepy, everything that I love in a Holly Black book, this has to be my least favorite book that I have read of hers.

This book was okay. I didn’t hate it, but I definitely did not love it. I think that I had set my expectations really high for this book and when it didn’t live up to the hype I had built, I became disinterested. This book got off to a slow start. Nothing really happened until halfway through the book and then BAM everything was happening all at once and then it was over.

Overall, this book had potential and I wanted to like it more then I really did (which is probably why I threw in the extra .5 star), but it just did not do anything for me.

Overall Rating - 3.5 Stars

Find on: Goodreads or Amazon 

No comments:

Post a Comment